Friday, November 16, 2007

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love making landscapes in any form. Yesterday I was testing the foot pedal (the third one) with my felting machine and after making certain it worked, I decided to try my first dry felted landscape. (Hint, don't trim before you choose your frame LOL). I had bought an Austrian white boiled wool jacket at Goodwill to play around with. As you may know, boiled wool is already felted to resist cold and wind. However, I washed it in hot water and soap and dried it in the dryer anyway and it became a miniature boiled wool jacket -- a little over 1/4" thick! This would put the felter through it's paces. I used some of Amanda's wonderful wool roving and felted it directly to a piece of the jacket. I broke 4 needles (but hey, I've used the machine a lot and hadn't broken any so felt I was due!). Of course they broke one at a time!! But this is the finished product and after trimming came out more square then landscape shape but I still like it. It's fun to twist and turn the roving for mountain texture or leave it fluffy for sky.

2 comments:

Ira said...

Beauitful work. Great colors

Chaska Peacock said...

Oh, Lorraine, this is gorgeous!!!!!
I am a bit jealous, though. :-(
I want a felting machine, and that I could actually picture myself using it!