Friday, November 16, 2007

Whew, it's been awhile since I posted. I doubled the space in my booth in Winchester for the month of Nov. and had to have all the new items added by the end of Oct. I made it with a day to spare. Then I took part in the open house there the first weekend in November. Now that is stable for the rest of the month and then I'll be removing everything at the end of Nov. I'm looking for something closer to home given that gas prices continue to rise. I am also still selling a few things at the Damselfly in Midway -- another gas guzzling drive. And recently my multi-talented friend Amanda (www.hippieartchick.com) asked if I would like to place some things in a booth she and Lynn Oakes (www.blueacornwoolens.com) were having for two weeks at the Louisville International Livestock show!! They filled their booth with their beautiful creations and I was honored and humbled that they allowed my pieces to be with their gorgeous handmade rugs, woven, kitted, crocheted, and felted creations, as well as their many and varied hand dyed yarns. I made some fabric landscapes, fiber necklaces, and some fabric postcards. I've posted the framed landscapes and necklaces below. I didn't get a chance to scan the postcards. These gals are so talented, in so many ways, and I was so happy to spend a day there with them and just absorb all their knowledge and marvel at their shawls, hats, purses, yarns, patterns and kits. They start out with wool from the sheep and end up with the final product -- yarn and wool roving -- which they then dye is glorious colors. They also had really soft llama roving and incredibly soft angora fur, dyed to a lovely teal color. You can see the llama wool on my Close at Hand Arts blog (link is to the right under Favorite Blogs). I made some Llama Pup die cut cards as this week's card in the new Adopt a Dog card series.

While most of the booths at the convention center were farm and Western related, there were several booths with jewelry and other goods but I didn't see one that held a candle to Amanda and Lynn's booth. I knew I had to go home with one of Lynn's beautiful felted purses and was so fortunate that she took a liking to two of my fabric landscapes -- so we did what most artists and crafts people do at these kinds of events -- we traded -- and I came home not only with a gorgeous hand knitted and felted purse but with some of her gorgeous yarns, as well as some more of Amanda's -- the smallest thinnest yarn I've ever seen -- have no idea what I'm going to do with it but will have to feature it somewhere, somehow!

More later. I'm about to turn into a pumpkin! Will post Lynn's purse that I came home with soon.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Mercy, you've been busy! And oh, my, the colors on those necklaces, Lorraine -- so fall, so soft looking --- what a grand job!! I hope sales increase for you -- this seems like such a weird year doesn't it?? But look at all the fun you're having!