Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Some very very sad new today. One of my favorite artists, Laurel Burch, has died at 61. We were born in the same year and when I think of all she accomplished, especially given her health, it makes me ashamed. She is the person who brought me out of my neutral colors into the bright and colorful world she created. She loved all creatures but I, of course, loved her cats best. I am so grateful that she lived in this world at the same time I did and that I was able to buy her books, fabrics, jewelry, purses, mugs, and scarves. She will be sadly missed. The item above is a "self portrait" I created after one of her cat faces. More information here:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "OMG" this was a shock to hear about Laurel Burch. I'm in total freak out mode. It is just by happenstance that I came to visit today, as I read your back message on the Fiber and Stitch site about your new sites. This is my first time here and I saw the Cat picture and recognized it. (Also said to myself that these sites would be fun to view.) thank you for the info. Now I will go and view the rest of your blog(s). Mary G. in NJ, USA

Lin said...

I am so sorry, cara .... your cat is a wonderful tribute!

Doe Grozs Art said...

I found your blog through Mai-Liis' and I did not know about Laurel Burch. I too adored her work. I have so many things,cat bag,fabric,my favorite mug I use every morning. It's a big lose here on earth :-( but Heaven is a lot more colorful!!