Sunday, September 02, 2007

You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl. I grew up in Vermont but was "transplanted" to Kentucky when I was 19. I have always missed the land though -- especially the fall foliage and the mountains. One of my favorite Vermont artists is Sabra Field. She designed a poster and a postage stamp in l991 for Vermont's 200th anniversary. It features many Vermont "staples" plowed fields, the famous red barn, the rolling green mountains (for it is the Green Mountain State), and the higher peaks in the distance. Unfortunately this summer scene couldn't also include the magnificent fall foliage.
I tried to paint this scene several times and couldn't quite get it the way I wanted it. Then I realized that what I could accomplish was the two levels of plowed earth with grass between. So, I added a green field with dandelions -- another summer Vermont staple. My effort, in oil is above.

1 comment:

Lin said...

SUPER JOB, LORRAINE -- VERY NEAT!