Tuesday, October 10, 2006

This class with Bill was so much fun and I think what started me on the road to wanting to do a series of abstract cats. Bill taught me this a few months ago. First we drew our cats on 300 lb. water color paper with a nice rough bumpy finish. Then we wet the canvas all over. While it was still wet, we dropped paint onto the canvas from our brushes; then added more and then more, varying the colors. Then dried it with a hair dryer. Then we used permanent black pens and started outlining the color, wherever it changed shades with wiggly little lines. It was fascinating. I opted for a calico cat. Bill has made some great paintings this way, "finding" all kinds of things in the drawings -- fish, flowers, and so on and then augmenting the painting with drawings of his own. This is so much fun.

3 comments:

Lin said...

HOW ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! AND SUCH FUN!

Anonymous said...

This calico is beautiful! I just love this set of cats and look forward to each new one. I'll gladly buy him. What's your price?
And I see a red-headed woodpecker on the right shoulder immediately.

Anonymous said...

I love your cats, real and art. gg suggested that I look at your blog, now I see why. I'm a cat-lover myself, and seeing your photos and artwork has made my day. I should submit some of my kitties photos somewhere; I suppose I need to start my blog.

You are wonderful.

Hugs,
Donna WB