Sunday, October 08, 2006

This used to be my favorite spot on some land we owned in Berea -- at the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. The land there reminds me a lot of Vermont. This area was reached by a gradually sloping hike through the sparse trees and wild flowers and opened into this loose circle of trees.
We used to hang our hammocks from the trees and read, talk, and stare up through the trees to the gorgeous sky and sun above. We even camped out here one night accompanied by a neighbor's dog who didn't much like the tent or the fact that we disappeared inside it. We said our personally written wedding vows here, after saying the traditional ones at the judge's office. The trees had fallen in such a way as to make a number of places to sit and recline and rest after a good hike. Unfortunately now trespassers with off road vehicles have destroyed this area; their owners taking chainsaws to the partially fallen trees and logs and moving them out of their path. I am glad that I have the photo I painted this from and this as yet unframed watercolor to remind me of happier days on that land. I framed this is a gold frame and it really "helps" the painting!

2 comments:

Lin said...

LOVELY LOVELY COLORS!! SUPER JOB ON THE SUNLIGHT THRU THE TREES, LORRAINE! Looks like my preferred resting place -- just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I just love these works of art! And your story to go with them, especially this one!! It looks so peaceful, so tranzquill. I'm so happy for your time there and that you painted it so beautifully!